Thursday, November 22, 2007

Easy Deviled Eggs

My mother made great deviled eggs. Seemed like a lot of work. She never measured anything..it was all just by sight. As much as I tried to duplicate her Miracle Whip, vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar combo...I never could. So, I created my own. Later I found out that versions similar to this are very popular in the South. These are great. Once they hit the table I'm lucky if I get one.!

NEED:

Six eggs, hard boiled. ( I boil mine for 15 minutes)
salt
pepper
pickle relish
Mayo or salad dressing
mustard

Remove eggs from heat...drain off water....fill pot with cold water and let sit until cool...about 15 min.
They may be a bit warm when peeling...if so..just stick it under cold water for a few seconds.
Cut in half, length wise.
Remove yoke to seperate bowl.
If you do not have a dish designed for deviled eggs just take a regular serving plate and place a few lettuce leaves on it and place the eggs on top. The lettuce makes a great background and keeps the eggs from sliding all over the plate.
With a fork..mash the egg yolks.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Stir in :1 tablespoon of mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons of mayo or salad dressing
2 1/2 tablespoons of pickle relish---drain off as much liquid as possilble
Blend together with fork.
You don t want it to be too thick nor too thin. If you feel it is too thick add "a bit" more relish or "a bit" of the liquid from the relish.
Fill center of each egg , cover loosely with plactic wrap and chill until ready to serve.

By using the pickle relish the guess work of getting ingredients just right is removed. Thiese are easy and no fail. Just remember to grab yours early!

Enjoy!

No comments: