Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Make the most of your time.

It is Thanksgiving Eve and if you are cooking you have probably already started some of your preparations. I was going about some of mine when I realized that this would be a good thing to share to show how to make the most of your time and get you out of the kitchen.
I wanted to bake some cookies for the kids. I found these great Peanut Butter Cup cookies at a local store. Pre-made and cut..you just break apart the pieces and bake.

So, cookies in the oven for 17 minutes. (350 degrees)
At this time I started my dinner.....diced up left over baked potatoes for frying
started a sauce pan of canned corn
breaded pork steaks to go in the oven the minute the cookies
come out.
Pork Steaks in the oven for 35 minutes ( 350 degrees)
At this time I lay out the pre-made pie crusts and mix up my pumpkin pie mixture. ( Libby 100% pumpkin..follow receipe on the can) Place crusts in pie pans and pour in mixture ( make sure each contains the same amount for even baking).
Dinner is ready...remove the pork steaks...turn oven up to 400 degrees and put pies in the oven.**set timer to come and reduce heat in 15 mins. to 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Dinner on the table.
Nice leisurely dinner....all done....table cleaned and still 17 minutes on the timer for the pies to finish.
Mix a box of brownie mix and pour into 8 x 8 baking pan.
Remove pies and put brownies in the oven.
and 20 minutes later....
All the baking for tomorrow is done and I ve had dinner.
I have not had to rush or spend a lot of time as one item simply led to the other.
Finding things that you can do in this manner cuts your kitchen time there by giving your more free time.

2 comments:

Teri said...

I went to work at 5 and didn't start dinner until around 3. We ate at 6:30, and now I am cleaning up the mess. I really don't like big dinners. Hope your day was great!

Zeddie said...

Hi Teri and thanks for stopping by. I love to cook big dinners but no matter the size I dislike the clean up. I try to clear away as much as I can while I m cooking so there is not so much later. Nice quilt block, by the way.