Thursday, March 20, 2008

BBQ Ribs

I love ribs and at my house you have to make a ton to have enough. I call them BBQ ribs because my outdoor grill has a smoker. Basically, without a smoker you are grilling ribs. Frankly, they are great no matter what you call them.
NEED:
As many ribs as you want...it all depends on how many people and how much you like ribs.
I use pork ribs only....so much depends on what you like. I like a fair amount of meat on the bones but not a large amount. I want them to cook until nice and tender with a bit of a crunchy crust on the edge.
Dry Rub--I use salt, pepper and garlic powder....you can mix yours to your taste
BBQ Sauce - I like Open Pit Hickory or Honey or Brown Sugar..or you can make your own..which I have done sometimes and will post a few you can try.

Rub the dry rub on the meaty side of the ribs. Normally, you'll be making two slabs of ribs just to have enough..Plus leftovers are great.
Place the ribs on a cookie sheet with an edge or in a very shallow baking dish. Lay the first slab in, bone side down, place the other on top, meat side down.
By placing them on top of each other the juices help to keep them nice and moist.
Oven at 250 degrees. Bake for about 3 hours. Turn them over 1/2 way through.
You can do them the entire time on your smoker or grill if you want. It takes longer and you want them tender so the oven works great.
Now, transfer them to your hot grill. Lay them side by side and close the lid. Grill for about 20 minutes (this gets off some of the juices which helps when you apply the sauce. Also, if you have a smoker this gives it a chance to add great flavor) then turn. Grill for another 10 minutes and apply BBQ sauce. Let grill for 5, turn and apply sauce again. You can do this as many times as you want to get as much sauce on as you like. I like the edges of my sauce to be a bit crisp. You can also add sauce when you take them off and or serve extra sauce on the side.
Ribs are easy to make but to make great ones takes sometime but it is so worth it.

Enjoy!

No comments: