Thursday, March 13, 2008

Ukrainian Poppyseed Cake

This is just the yummiest sounding cake. I love any dessert with poppy seeds. This was provided by my pal, ama, and she was kind enough to say where she got it. Checking out this cookbook could be a good idea. As soon as she mentioned this cake it created quite a stir among our other pals. I know I am making it this weekend.
( from: Moosewood Cookbook By Mollie Katzen )
NEED:
3/4 cup poppy seeds
1 cup milk
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 1/3 cups light brown sugar
3 eggs
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp. lemon rind zest ( I always put more in and sometimes use a mix lemon/orange zest too)
2 cups unbleached white flour ( I substituted 1 cup with wholewheat flour)
3 tsp. Baking powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
Heat poppy seeds and milk together in saucepan. Remove from heat right before it boils. Cool to room temp.

Cream butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time beating well after each.( I usually add the vanilla and zest at this point too)

Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with poppy seeds/milk mixture, stirring well after each addition. Stir in vanilla and lemon rind/zest

Bake in well-greased pan(s)
Oven at 350 degrees for 40 - 50 min, or until cake-tester comes out clean. (I used a bunt pan and it was done in 40 min)

Enjoy!

No comments: