Sunday, March 2, 2008

A couple tips..

I have a few to share right now and will be posting more in the future..
COOKING WITH ICE
This first one is my new favorite thing for on the stove grilling. ICE..yes ICE...I can't believe how great this works to keep things moist.
I have a stove top grill pan. One of those with the raised grill lines. I do love it. One thing you want to do to really grill great..is get it VERY hot before you place the meat in it. Spray the pan and then pre-heat it until it is very hot. You can test the heat by flipping some water in it..just a few drops off your finger tips.
My pan is square. I use it mostly to cook chicken. Place the chicken in let it get lightly brown ( about a minute) turn it and then place four ice cubes in the pan and cover loosely. I place a round lid on the pan so the steam can escape. Using ice is great because you don t get a build up of water. The ice melts, creates a steam and is gone. However, that steam helps cook the chicken faster and adds moisture. When I turn the chicken I add more ice. The steam from the ice also lifts some of the juices from the pan and they cover the chicken making it the most beautiful brownish color.
You can also use ice when grilling burgers in the pan or any other item you make in your grill pan.
CUT THE OIL FROM YOUR BAKING:
Any cake, brownie or other baked good that calls for oil can be altered by replacing the oil with unsweetened applesauce. You actually will gain a bit of moisture but it will not change the taste.
CUT THE SALT:
Need to reduce your salt intake? Do not underestimate the power of pepper. It adds a nice "zip" to food so don t be afraid to add a bit more than normal. You won't miss the salt.

Hope you found these helpful and watch for more tips.

No comments: