Saturday, February 16, 2008

Maplee Mousse Thingee

This is from my pal , ama, in Canada. It just sounds soooo good. She offered a few tips on this so Iam going to just print everything she had to say. I can't wait to try this.

NEED:
Ingredients
3 or 4 egg yolks
one cup maple syrup
2 cups whipping cream
Directions
Beat egg yolks in the top of a double boiler (off heat) until lemon colored.Heat maple syrup to boiling point, pour very slowly into egg yolks, whisking continuously. I cooked the syrup for awhile ( watch it closely ! ) til it reduced by 1/3 to 1/2 as some recipies called for the use of geletine to help gel the mousse but thats a no no for vegetarians.
Cook over boiling water until eggs coat a spoon (170 deg.) Be careful not to heat mixture too fast. about 10 minutes
Cool mixture over ice while stirring constantly to room temperature.
Beat well chilled heavy cream stiff and doubled in volume. I used a whipping cream stabilizer mix at 1/2 the recommended amount- not sure if that was abosuletly necessary but it certainly didnt hurt and there was no separating of the cream.
Fold in maple-egg mixture until well blended.
Fill parfait glasses, Refrigerate until ready to use or freeze if it will be several days until you need them. Neat creamy frozen texture if frozen - can be served this way too.
Notes: I found this to be a very very rich dessert very sweet - almost too much. So I would do as other recipies suggested and whip the egg whites up and fold them into the mixture as well to make it lighter... but I really liked the dense creamyness so I would keep aside some of the original mixture and use it as another thin intensly flavoured layer in the glass.
I also garnished the top with shaved/grated chocolate, slivered almonds and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice ( cinnimon/nutmeg/ginger/cloves) I really liked the spices -It goes very well - I'd would even put some in between the layers... but don't snort the spices when you go to eat it -- best stir it in first.

Hope you Enjoy it..I know I plan to...soon!

No comments: