Saturday, January 5, 2008

Italian Sausage with Peppers and Onion

One day, when my cousin was visiting I made this and she said, " I didn't know anyone made this, I thought you could only get it at fairs!" LOL and she was serious. I told her they HAD to make it..and then I saw the light go on...I do love this..and it s simple and a nice change.

NEED:
Italian Sausage...flavor of your choice..I like the mild. Skinless is the best but you can use the other
One can or jar of spagetti sauce
One large green pepper
One medium onion

In large fry pay place the sausage and 1 1/2 cups of water. Cook on medium-low for about 15 minutes. You don t really want to fry the sausage as that will make it tough..so you want to steam it through to cook it. Remove sausage to a platter and pour out all the remaining water and return the sausage to the pan. Pour in the sauce. Cover and heat on low. Slice the peppers thin and slice the onions the same. Layer them over top of the sauce and sausage, cover and cook on medium-low for about an hour. The reason you want it to go so long is you want the flavors to slowly blend together and you do not want to heat it higher..that toughens the sausage. Also with the onions and peppers on top..the flavors work down as they cook. Serve in hot dog or like shaped buns. You can also sprinkle cheese over them in the buns for something extra. If you are a mushroom lover you can add nicely sliced mushrooms to your peppers and onions.

Enjoy!

No comments: